This cake is refined sugar free, dairy free and low gluten.
Spelt is an ancient relative of wheat that has a lower gluten content making it easier on the digestive system. It has relatively high levels of Niacin (Vit B3) which can help reduce cholesterol, aid in metabolizing fat and reduce severity of migraines, also Magnesium which is a co-factor for many body enzymes and helps to burn fat to produce energy. Spelt is rich in phytonutrients which are particularly effective in protecting against certain breast and other hormone dependant cancers.
Being lower in gluten than conventional wheat flour it makes a lovely light cake, with a distinct nutty flavour.
4 oz coconut oil
6 oz xylitol or preferred sugar alternative
3 medium free range eggs
4 tbsp dairy free milk such as almond or hemp
6 oz wholemeal spelt flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 oz poached damsons or other stone fruit
sprinkling of pumpkin or other seeds
- Slightly warm the cocnut oil until it is soft enough to blend with the xylitol, then beat together until smooth
- Add eggs at room temperature, one by one, beating well in between until fully mixed
- Add your dairy free milk and mix thoroughly
- Add spelt flour and cinnamon, folding through until incorporated
- Fold through your poached stone fruit so it is just mixed but some fruit still holds its shape
- Transfer to a 2lb lined loaf tin, sprinkle top with chosen seeds or nuts and bake at 180c for 20-30 minutes